People who support the project sponsor.
The steering group:
- Eliminates obstacles to the project.
- Supports the project manager and sponsor.
- Helps anchor the project with various stakeholders.
- Follows up the project results and participates in decisions.
- Participates in prioritizing resource usage.
The responsibilities of the steering group members should be clarified early on.
The project sponsor should have the chair in the steering group. The steering group assists and supports the project sponsor, but does not take over the sponsor’s overall responsibility for the project.
If many projects are running at once, the steering group may be common to several projects in a certain field of activity. Tasks in the group are then often focused on coordinating the common project portfolio.