The person responsible for the business case/business effects of the project.
The project sponsor:
- Clarifies the business objectives and evaluates them at each gate in relation to the effort and risks involved.
- Decides at each gate whether to go on with the project, or close it down.
Agrees with the project manager on the project arena and the PM’s mandate.
Secures resources for the project.
Anchors, protects and removes obstacles.
- Anchors the project with stakeholders, the management and resource owners.
- Handles conflicts of interest and makes sure that decisions are taken.
Collaborates, follows up and supports.
- Determines how the collaboration with the project manager shall work in practice.
- Follows up on results, time and cost. Gives feedback.
- Decides when the project is at risk of moving outside the agreed arena.
- Supports the project manager.
Secures results, learning and utilization.
- Approves project closure, monitors the delivery to customer/user and that the responsibility for the results is transferred to the receiver.
- Secures utilization, that business objectives are met and established relationships are taken care of.
- Decides when and how the evaluation/measurement of the business objectives will be done.
- Checks that experiences from the project are documented and passed on.