Assignment manager (AM)
The person who leads the assignment work and is responsible for achieving its objectives.
- The assignment manager familiarizes him/herself with the assignment’s background and proposed arena and informs all team members accordingly.
- Carries out a stakeholder analysis and works with assignment team members to formulate the arena.
- Agrees on the assignment arena with the assignment sponsor.
- Visualizes the assignment contents and results.
- Organizes the assignment and agrees with resource owners on the use of human and other resources.
- Plans the assignment.
- Handles uncertainties in the assignment through measures like active risk management.
- Motivates the employees and maintains tempo by active daily management.
- Keeps the assignment sponsor informed on the current status and possible deviations.
- Maintains contact with the receiver and the customer/users.
- Puts together assignment status and information necessary for gate decisions.
- Answers to the assignment sponsor for the achievement of the assignment objectives.
- Delivers the assignment results to the customer/user.
- Turns over responsibility to the receiver.
- Holds a lessons-learned seminar, writes the final report and shares experiences.
Central to the assignment manager’s role is to eliminate obstacles and create conditions which facilitate work, collaboration and communication for everyone.