The person who will utilize what the project delivers.
- Describes and communicates requirements/wishes and their background.
- Describes and communicates other expectations, for example how reporting should be done.
- Monitors the project throughout its progress and gives feedback.
- Does run-throughs and tests to ensure that the specifications have been met
The customer only:
- Specifies a delivery method and receives the delivery.
- Assesses the likelihood of achieving their own business objectives.
The customer/user has the difficult job of being clear about desired business objectives while describing an often unclear current situation, The customer/user and project manager need to discuss how to deal with questions to which there is no clear answer at project start, and how to deal with future changes.
A high level of trust between the customer/user and project manager will make things easier. Make sure to establish a good dialogue early on. This is just as important in the relationship between the project sponsor and the customer/user’s Business Manager.